The good news is you don't need to be clad in couture to get the same look! In fact, you can even just give your classic, preppy pieces a little twist.
Right now I am loving neutral outfits with a pop of color. Whether it's a bright necklace or just neon nails, I think it looks striking without making you feel like a sign on the outside of a bar. Rachel Bilson, easily number one on my list of style crushes, pulls it off perfectly, contrasting beige and vibrant tangerine.
Since I got back up to school for summer session, a maxi dress and statement necklace has been one of my most worn outfits. Maxi dresses are great for a little daytime elegance and bright, bold jewelry gives the look a real pop! Whenever I'm wearing this, I can't help but feel like a mermaid. And what better color combination than everyone's favorite color and some beachy blue. I have the J.Crew bubble necklace shown below and if you've been considering making it yours, it's definitely worth the $150 splurge!
You guys asked for it and here it is! By some miracle I've managed to get my everyday makeup routine down to just four products (unless you count what I use to fill in my eyebrows; I left that out). The most important things for me is a clear, glowing complexion and big, bold lashes. I'm not a huge fan of eyeliner or eyeshadow during the day, but you can always add those if you're going for a more dramatic look.
First, I mix a few pumps of facial moisturizer (any will do, so just use whatever works best for you) with a pea-sized amount of Mac Studio Fix Fluid. While this is by far my favorite foundation, it is a little heavy for everyday use, so I do this to make it wear more like a tinted moisturizer. I apply the mixture with my Sigma F80 flat kabuki brush, which gives a really even, airbrushed-looking coverage.
Next, I contour my face with bronzer and highlight my cheekbones with blush. My favorite duo is NARS Laguna & Orgasm, which you can conveniently buy together. I think I'm on my third one of these right now and that says a lot considering my commitment issues with makeup. For the contouring, I use my Sigma F40 large angled brush and apply the bronzer right underneath my cheekbones. I've been using some random brush I found in my drawer for blush, but I apply it from the tops of my cheekbones to my temples.
Finally, I finish the look with several coats of L'Oreal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black, letting it semi-dry in between coats. I cannot sing enough praises about this mascara. It is a brilliant color, pretty much as black as mascara can be, and it's very easy to build, without becoming a clumpy mess.
And voila, all done and ready for a day out!
If you follow my Tumblr, you know Mollie King from the British-Irish band, The Saturdays, is hands-down one of my top fashion icons. To be honest, I've never actually heard any of her music, but thanks to Pinterest, I'm obsessed with her baby blonde locks and effortless style. This one outfit in particular, I think, is perfect for a summer night out. It's classy, but playful, and I'm all about scarves.
Feel free to send me suggestions for future Style File posts!
Hey y'all, I am so excited for my very first blog post! After getting lots of lovely suggestions from my Tumblr followers, I decided to start with summer essentials. School is out and the sun is shining, so grab your Coronas and hit the water. These are some of my must-haves for the season:
1. J.Crew Chinos (3 inch inseam): While we've all (hopefully) graduated from our Hollister hoochie shorts, there's nothing wrong with showing some leg. These are a staple in my summer wardrobe and come in all sorts of bright colors, which is perfect for this time of year. Pair them with a plain tee to keep things casual or a nice blouse to dress it up.
2. Rainbow Flip Flops: There is no way to describe these other than the absolute best. They're insanely comfortable, which is oh so important when it comes to flip flops, very durable, and they go with everything. While it may seem a little pricey (they run for about $50), it is worth every penny. I have a similar pair from Vineyard Vines that I got for around the same price (I just can't resist that little whale), they are nowhere near as comfy. When it comes to flip flops, go Rainbow!
3. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer: I'll be the first to admit, I am a tanning junkie. While I'm fully aware of the negative aspects, tan skin is a great compliment to any outfit. This moisturizer is a great, safe alternative to laying out. Not only does it give you a fanastic, natural looking color over the course of a few days, but you'll be streak-free too! After trying countless self-tanners, this is definitely my go-to. While I can't say much about the moisturizing benefits (I actually found it to be a little drying), it definitely delivers that summer glow we all crave.
4. Seersucker Everything Tote: Summer is full of trips to the beach, lake, and pool, and what better way to bring your towel and sunscreen than in an adorable, monogrammed tote? I'm a sucker for all things seersucker (and monogrammed), so when I saw this, I fell in love.
5. Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm: I just can't say enough good things about this! I get horribly dry lips, but this leaves them smooth, moisturized, and renewed. It also has SPF 20 and comes in some subtle tints, as well as clear.
6. Lilly Pulitzer Acrylic Tumbler with Straw: Not only is it adorable, but it will keep your drink ice cold, even on those unbearably hot days. Plus, I don't know, I think it's pretty cool that it has a straw!
Well, there you have it! Leave a comment letting me know what y'all thought and tell me some of your own summer essentials! xo